Getting ready for a Country Christmas

Hi everyone.  I've been busy lately with a Fall birthday and getting decorated for Christmas lately and thought I should sit-down and write a little bit about how that's going.  I've heard of quite a few people that have started to decorate already for Christmas.  Good for you!  To be honest with you, if I know you and you celebrate this holiday and you haven't started decorating already, I'm a bit offended :). But seriously, let's talk decor.  What do you go with?



Our family tends to go simple.  I could go insane but I don't like clutter so we try to minimize what we put out for decor.  With two preschoolers, three other toddlers in the family, and two dogs and three cats, we have to!    I'm not "for" one decor style over another.  I really just love love love Christmas and any decor that involves Christmas is beautiful to me.  I don't even care if it's a fake pink tree: it's beautiful.

But I tend to go with a more traditional look I guess you could say.  Most of my decor was handmade by someone and thus has some special meaning for me.  Same with our tree: almost all of the ornaments are ones I had on our family tree growing up (benefits of being an only child: you get everything from your parents).  I have tree ornaments from my great grandmother, ceramics and tole painting that belonged to my nana and were made by my mom....you get the idea.  When I look at it, I want it to have some meaning and a story.  Otherwise, I don't have room for it.

All four of these are made by my mom.



Also this year I decided to wrap our pictures on our walls to add a bit more Christmas without the clutter.  Add a bow (and ribbon if you are really handy: I'm not) and you are all set!  So its easy to add Christmas on a budget and use what you already have.  Throw a few Christmas cacti in the mix and you're set.



In addition to decor, plans are in the mix for us to deliver our Christmas cards to the neighbours on our street in a wagon pulled by our tractor once it gets closer to the actual holiday.  Blankets, hot cocoa...it will be great.  I've also made bits and bites for our "early" Christmas this weekend with my parents (they go South for real Christmas).  We are pretty much 75% done our shopping (I cannot go near the stores after Dec. 15: too crazy for me and it seems like every grumpy person alive shops then).  Pretty excited because this is our first Christmas with kiddos and, well, yeah....I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!  Bring on the wrapping.

Christmas print and hand painted Santas.  Love the details.
A gift from my sister in law and made by a local artist.

Recycled from a yard sale: it just spoke to me!


Well, that's it for now.  If the kids and I have a say (and I say we do since its 3 against 1) the tree will be up this weekend!  Enjoy your decorating for Christmas, winter, or whatever you choose to celebrate this time of year.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts